Disc partitioning

Matt Galvin matt.t.galvin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 02:03:29 UTC 2005

On 8/8/05, Tim Gepfrey <gdadd at sssnet.com> wrote:
> Please have patience with me, I'm a newbie.  I'm trying to install ubuntu on
> an NTFS formatted hard drive next to Windows XP, yah I kwow all the jokes.
> I followed the instructions i.e. Boot installer, Make your way to
> partitioner, select manual editing of partition, select the partition ,
> select the size. Enter a smaller size and hit enter.  The problem is I can't
> figure out how to enter a smaller size for the partition.  Please help?

Hi Tim,

Welcome! It is always nice to see new faces :)

Have you already resized your NTFS partition to make space for Ubuntu?
>From your description it seems like you may not have done this yet.
This is the first thing you want to do. There are various ways of
doing this. You could use a tool like Partition Magic from within
windows or you can use free tools. The following page describes how to
resize your HD and dual boot windows and ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WindowsDualBootHowTo

NOTE: There is lots of great information on the wiki at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Hope this helps get you started. If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)

Matt