Strange problems compiling teTeX 3.0

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Mon Aug 8 09:38:14 UTC 2005

Colin Watson schrieb am 08.08.2005 01:32:

> [redirecting back to -users]
>
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:09:18AM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
>
>>Sorry, the subject is not that exact. But I didn't came up with a
>>better one. On friday I wanted to install teTex 3.0 on my laptop,
>>that runs Hoary (also installed on friday). But already the first
>>command using the Bash returns an error:
>>
>>$ sudo ./configure --disable-multiplatform > configure.log 2>&1
>>bash: configure.log: No permission
>
> Looks like you unpacked the TeTeX tarball as root, thus arranging that
> the unpacked directories were owned by root; and they aren't
> world-writable, so your ordinary user cannot write to them. Note that
> when you use constructions like 'sudo command > file', the redirection
> is performed by your ordinary user-privileged shell, not by sudo or by
> the command running with root privileges.

Ok, thank you very much for your answer. That's it! I'm not yet
familiar with sudo, sorry. I thought it was similar to 'su -' with
the difference, that it only applies to the command called with sudo.

> My first advice would be not to unpack the tarball as root, since
> there's generally no need to do so. Failing that, 'chown -R' the
> unpacked tree after unpack so that your ordinary user can write to it.

As I unpacked it to /usr/src/ I had to do so. And, mea culpa, I
thought running ./configure with sudo would be enough to write to
the directory. Now that I changed the owner, writing configure.log
works, of course.

>>I never observed such a thing and I use Debian for more than seven
>>years now. Actually the same command succeeds on Debian Sarge.
>
> This behaviour of shell redirections is standard across all Unix
> variants of which I'm aware.

I have to learn more about sudo. But you deleted an important part
of my message. I wrote: »If I run this command as root both
configure and configure.log are empty files afterwards! Strange,
isn't it? I never observed such a thing and [...]«. That's the thing
I never observed.

Thanks again, you opened my eyes,
	Christoph
--