Strange problems compiling teTeX 3.0

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 7 23:32:14 UTC 2005

[redirecting back to -users]

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:09:18AM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Sorry, the subject is not that exact. But I didn't came up with a
> better one. On friday I wanted to install teTex 3.0 on my laptop,
> that runs Hoary (also installed on friday). But already the first
> command using the Bash returns an error:
>
> $ sudo ./configure --disable-multiplatform > configure.log 2>&1
> bash: configure.log: No permission

Looks like you unpacked the TeTeX tarball as root, thus arranging that
the unpacked directories were owned by root; and they aren't
world-writable, so your ordinary user cannot write to them. Note that
when you use constructions like 'sudo command > file', the redirection
is performed by your ordinary user-privileged shell, not by sudo or by
the command running with root privileges.

My first advice would be not to unpack the tarball as root, since
there's generally no need to do so. Failing that, 'chown -R' the
unpacked tree after unpack so that your ordinary user can write to it.

> I never observed such a thing and I use Debian for more than seven
> years now. Actually the same command succeeds on Debian Sarge.

This behaviour of shell redirections is standard across all Unix
variants of which I'm aware.

Cheers,