chown step-by-step as an example

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Mon Aug 8 09:05:33 UTC 2005

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY a écrit :
> On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 21:22 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> I'll assume your login name is 'rene'.

> Run this exactly:
>         sudo chown -R rene /home/upload

> Now, do whatever you want with that directory using Nautilus (or any
> other application).  When you finish, do:
>         sudo chown -R root /home/upload

> If you want everybody to be able to access that directory and read it's
> contents, and nobody but "root" can change it, run:
>         sudo chmod -R a+rX,go-w /home/upload

> That's all!
> Ziyad.
Hello,
I find it is a good example to understand better how the rights on files
function.
In the 'sudo chmod -R a+rX,go-w /home/upload' command,
chmod #change rights
a     #all
+rX     #give rights to read (r) and gives rights to execute (X) I suppose ?
so 'g' groups, and 'o' others, will have the write (w) suppressed ?
Thus nobody has the rights to write, among 'all', 'group' and 'others'.
Then the only one who will have all the writes will be root, being the
owner of the folder.
Did I understand perfectly ?
J.Markoll.