chown step-by-step as an example

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Sun Aug 7 22:06:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 21:22 +0200, René L. Reingard wrote:
> He, thank you Ziyad,
> i must have completely mist your answer. sorry for that.
No problem :).

> i know i can work in console for some little things, but sometimes i do
> have a bunch of files i want to move, and it is to complex to my sense.
> that with 'sudo chown user /path/to/directory' sounds good. but, you would
> not believe what happend today to me. oh god. after doing a chown, the
> whole gnome-session became collapsed.
> and it was impossible - at least to me - to log into the system at all.
> already at startup there where errors (fail) regarding gnome, and nothing
> i tried helped out.
> as i anyway had thoughts since some time to set up the system once again
> new. so i did a complete new installation of Hoary. runs fine now after a
> few hours of work.
> could you please make an example of how to use the command right?
> lets say i do have '10 files in the folder /home/user/documents', and this
> one's i do want to copy to '/home/upload'. '/home/upload' is owned by root.
> what has the user to do step-by-step?
> regards,
> René
I'll assume your login name is 'rene'.

Run this exactly:
        sudo chown -R rene /home/upload

Now, do whatever you want with that directory using Nautilus (or any
other application).  When you finish, do:
        sudo chown -R root /home/upload

If you want everybody to be able to access that directory and read it's
contents, and nobody but "root" can change it, run:
        sudo chmod -R a+rX,go-w /home/upload

That's all!
Ziyad.