Gnome Modem Monitor applet demands a password - can I stop this?

azz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Aug 7 11:02:51 UTC 2005

"PS I'm trying to persuade this particular user that a buying a

broadband modem/router and spending a couple of pounds a month extra
for

broadband would be worthwhile..."

But that should not be the default workaround for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu modem support is definitely in the dark ages,  The only
workaround to the problem you describe that I could find is to enable
universe and install gnome-ppp.  Then plop a shortcut to it onto the
panel.

--
azz