Gnome Modem Monitor applet demands a password - can I stop this?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 09:53:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 04:42 -0400, vik4 wrote:

> > You should check that he is in the dialout group.(GUI for configuring
> > System/Administration/Users and groups)

> I've been pondering the same problem of late, and my presence in the
> dialout group seems to have little bearing on it - I still can't dial
> out without a password. (the setup added me to the dialout group
> automatically)
> --
> vik4

Exactly the situation that caused my original post.  The user is in the
dialout group and everything works fine;  I just don't need or want them
to be asked for a password to connect.  So I want to know where this
behaviour is configured in order to turn it off.  The help button on the
applet doesn't do anything, so no help there...

I've tried looking in Applications=>System Tools=>Configuration Editor
but there doesn't seem to be a key there to control the behaviour.  Are
there any other places I could try?  The only %gconf.xml file I can find
that is linked to the applet just reflects the keys shown by the
Configuration Editor.

Interestingly, the  applet still appears to identify as Modem Lights;

>bonobo_iid" type="string">
>	<stringvalue>OAFIID:GNOME_ModemLightsApplet</stringvalue>

If there really isn't a way of setting this behaviour, where should a
'wish list' bug report go?

Finally, as that is likely to take years, is there any way to regress to
the old Modem Lights applet, which I actually prefer...  Or does that
break the now working network setup tools for dialup?

Neil

PS  I'm trying to persuade this particular user that a buying a
broadband modem/router and spending a couple of pounds a month extra for
broadband would be worthwhile...