mkinitrd fails: cannot find lvm device

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 02:36:58 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I just install Hoary this evening and I'm having a problem.  My system
has three drives: to PATA drives and one SATA drive in the following
configuration:

PATA1:
/boot
[ RAIDA - A ] /
[ RAIDB - A ] swap
[ PV0 VG0 A ]

PATA2:
[ RAIDA - B ] /
[ RAIDB - B ] swap
[ PV1 VG0 B ]

VG0 is a two-piece volume group which forms LV0.

SATA1:
[ ext3 ] /home

My plan is to routinely rsync /home to LV0 -- I did this for months
with Fedora Core and had no problems.  I do this instead of RAIDing
the /home partition because I like to have a point-in-time backup
rather than mirroring -- it saves me from fingerslips more than drive
failures.

Anyway, that's not really the problem, but I think my problem is
related to the LVM configuration.  When I tried to run the first set
up updates, the linux-image package failed it's post install with the
following errors:

Setting up linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 (2.6.10-34.3) ...
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
File descriptor 7 left open
    Finding all volume groups
    Finding volume group "VG0"
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/evms/.nodes/hdc5: Cannot find LVM device
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 linux-image-2.6.10-5-386

hdc5 is the RAID B-B partition in my diagram above.  Since my swap is
indeed working, I don't think there's anything actually wrong with it,
and hdc5 isn't involved in LVM at all, so I'm not sure what the error
is trying to tell me.

I've googled and found a couple of people asking the same question,
but no responses.  I'm hoping I'll get lucky, I guess.

Any ideas?  Any more information I can provide?

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves