[breezy] Strange Keyboard Mapping Problem

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 22:06:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have been running breezy with very few
problems for about a month, but I have ran
into a problem that I don't know how to
get started debugging it.

I have a Jetta laptop, and up until the
last week or so the keyboard has worked
fine. Since then, while typing reasonable
fast (normal) the cursor will jump to the
beginning of the line randomly. Also when
that sort of thing happens typically I will
have a problem with the 'a' key producing
;5~ instead of an 'a' this is especially prevalent
when typing in a terminal. Also, the ctrl+'a'
and ctrl+'other letters' will produce strange
;[0-9]~ and other random things like that.
And there is a shift key problem too, which
I have seen mention of in the forums and
mentions making an xkeymod file (using
xkeymaps if I recall correctly). Most of the
problems don't exist if they are typed quick
enough, but that is difficult to get used to.

(Tthe a key type problem is usually
more noticable when repeating the a
key.)

Any help and suggestions are greatly
appreciated, I am going out of town next
week for LinuxWorld in San Francisco, so
I just want things to be running smooth
enough. Even If the best suggestion is
to go back to hoary, let me know the best
way.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Todd