Hi, I'm new to linux in general, and am visually impaired.

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Fri Aug 5 18:03:05 UTC 2005

brandon.mcginty at gmail.com a écrit :
> On the ubuntu website, I found some talk of accessibility, but no details.
> Can anyone on the list fill me in?
> If there are screen reading packages included with ubuntu, how hard are they to install and what would I need; how would I start them up?
> Sorry, I am a newby.
> Thankks,
> Brandon
Hello,
I tested accessibility, and it appears it's really fit for people
who cannot see at all.
To settle it, I went in the menu System->Preference->Technical help
(or so, I've got it in french) and followed what's written in it.
When I got the final result, the GUI crasched with the configuration
menu opened: that's to say, the GUI was blocked, and a gigantic screen
magnifier had divided the screen into two parts.
I think if I remember well, I went in the shell to remove the packages
(the true terminal) as the GUI did not respond anymore. That was
possible as I wrote down all I had done and installed on a paper.
So, if you don't need a GUI, install it and try. Otherwise, don't.
Best greetings, J.Markoll.