iPod/mp3 questions for a Windows migration

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Aug 5 13:27:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 08:24 -0400, Ben Novack wrote:
> On Sunday I'll be setting up a friend of mine who's gotten sick of
> Windows with a Hoary system. A key part of this is replacing iTunes.
>
> Obviously Rythmbox works for basic library playback.
>
> Is there a solution to the problem with iPod Minis with the newest
> firmware? I'm under the impression that gtkpod can't read more than
> 256 songs on minis with the 3.1 firmware, and that this isn't fixed
> until gtkpod .94, while Hoary only has .88.

https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/1635

The version from debian/sid works in breezy. I haven't tried it in hoary
yet. It may be sensible to install an older ipod firmware...

> How can I get Sound Juicer to rip MP3s? I've got mp3 and aac
> *playback* working fine all over my system (via hoary-extras), but I
> can't seem to get ripping to happen.

If you've got gstreamer0.8-lame installed, you should be able to modify
your audio ripping preferences.

burner at firefighter:~$ gnome-audio-profiles-properties

it'll open a window with the familiar list of profiles available in
sound-juicer. Select CD quality, Lossy and click edit. change 'vorbisenc
name=enc quality=0.5' to 'lame name=enc' in the "Gstreamer Pipeline" and
'ogg' to 'mp3' in "File Extension". Then click "OK" and "Close".

Now when you rip in sound-juicer, it'll make mp3s with lame instead of
oggs with vorbis.

> Will she need to manually import into rhythmbox every album she rips
> with Sound Juicer to play it, and then manually import it into gtkpod
> to sync it with the iPod, or is there a way to get things to happen
> automagically?

I've been playing with my girlfriend's ipod mini for the past week. I
haven't found any solution as nice as itunes. gtkpod isn't _too_ bad
though. Let me know if you find any better solutions.

mike

--
Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
burner | suppressingfire | firestorm | phoenix | firefighter