Spamassassin install: a study of suggested packages

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Fri Aug 5 13:04:08 UTC 2005

Hello,
I start testing Evolution with Spamassassin, as I usually use
Thunderbird, but would be interested to compare the advantages
of having integrate calender, schduler, and so on.
When I lounched the download, I got a few more packages that are
suggested, and watching with apt-cache show (or aptitude show, I tried
both) I can't get an idea of what could be useful or not.
I use an only muchine.

Those packages are as follow:
Suggested:
>   libnet-smtp-perl libmail-spf-query-perl razor libnet-ident-perl libdbi-perl
>   dcc-client pyzor

The infos I get are following:

?

>1) $ apt-cache show libmail-spf-query-perl
>  The Sender Permitted From (SPF) protocol relies on sender domains to
>  publish a DNS whitelist of their designated outbound mailers.  This
>  module, given an envelope sender, determines whether a given client IP
>  is a legitimate mail source.
>  .
>  This package also includes spfquery, a command line interface to the
>  module, and spfd, a query proxy for some mail server configuatins.
> $
Seems interesting Is this one difficult to handle for newbees such as I
one year old newbie ? (don't rewrite easily in configuration files yet,
I must ask for advice about what to change each time I need to, except
the source.list of course)

>2) $ apt-cache show razor
>  Vipul's Razor is a distributed, collaborative, spam detection and
>  filtering network. Razor establishes a distributed and constantly updating
>  catalogue of spam in propagation. This catalogue is used by clients to
>  filter out known spam. On receiving a spam, a Razor Reporting Agent (run
>  by an end-user or a troll box) calculates and submits a 20-character unique
>  identification of the spam (a SHA Digest) to its closest Razor
>  Catalogue Server. The Catalogue Server echos this signature to other
>  trusted servers after storing it in its database. Prior to manual
>  processing or transport-level reception, Razor Filtering Agents (end-users
>  and MTAs) check their incoming mail against a Catalogue Server and filter
>  out or deny transport in case of a signature match. Catalogued spam, once
>  identified and reported by a Reporting Agent, can be blocked out by the
>  rest of the Filtering Agents on the network.
> $

Looks nice, but the last one in the list, Pyzor would be the very free
equivalent....

>3) $ apt-cache show libnet-ident-perl
>  You can either use the simple interface, which does one ident
>  lookup at a time, or use the asynchronous interface to perform
>  (possibly) many simultaneous lookups, or simply continue serving other
>  things while the lookup is proceeding.
> $

>4) $ apt-cache show libdbi-perl
>  The Perl Database Interface by Tim Bunce provides a software layer to
>  access any SQL database from within a Perl5 program.  All SQL
>  database engines for which a DBD:: driver is available can be
>  accessed.
> $
I don't use database yet, so it's of no need for me...

>5) $ apt-cache show dcc-client

>  The DCC or Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse is a system of thousands of
>  clients and more than 175 servers collecting and counting checksums related
>  to several tens of million mail messages per day. The counts can be used by
>  SMTP servers and mail user agents to detect and reject or filter spam or
>  unsolicited bulk mail. DCC servers exchange or "flood" common checksums.
>  The checksums include values that are constant across common variations in
>  bulk messages, including "personalizations."
> $
Ok, for big enterprises...

>6) $ apt-cache show pyzor
>  Pyzor is a collaborative, networked system to detect and block spam using
>  identifying digests of messages.
>  .
>  Pyzor initially started out to be merely a Python implementation of Razor,
>  but due to the protocol and the fact that Razor's server is not software
>  libre, I decided to implement Pyzor with a new protocol and release the
>  entire system as software libre.
>  .
>  Since the entire system is released under the GPL, people are free to host
>  their own independent servers.
>  Server peering is planned for a future release.
> $

So, my question is: for the n°0, 1, 3, 6, and maybe 2 for razor, do
people here dowloaded them and is able to say what are the most useful
and the most efficient ? (razor/pyzor, the very use of
n°3:libnet-ident-perl and any interesting comments on the advantages of
all ?)
Plus, is a false package a part of another package that can be found
with a tool such as apt-file for example ?

Thanks for all answers on these particular details.
Best greetings, J.Markoll.