Overriding Video BIOS

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 5 12:59:21 UTC 2005

J.Markoll wrote:

> Anthony Gardner a écrit :
> | I have a Dell Inspiron 9300, ATI Mobility Radeon and
> | have installed Hoary 5.04. For this machine, the video
> | BIOS is set at 14440x900 and I'd like better (1600x
> | type stuff)
> You surely checked the recommended values indicated in the man
> of the monitor furnished with your machine ?

LOL.  It's a dell laptop.  I use one (I've had two) so I'm pretty happy with
them, but they don't come with a "monitor manual" :-)

I've only _just_ got mine to display 1280x800.  I've heard it will do
1600x1000, but it certainly doesn't look like that from reading Xorg.0.log.

Do you see a line in the log like:
 Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: FALSE, present: TRUE, size:
(1280,800)

I'm not sure if that's a general xorg message or specific to the i810-series
chipsets, so you might not have it.  I'm suspecting that yours says it's
1440x900.
--
derek