Overriding Video BIOS

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Thu Aug 4 13:00:29 UTC 2005

Anthony Gardner wrote:
> I'm not sure if I should be posting this to this mail
> list or possibly X's.
>
> I'll try here first ;)
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 9300, ATI Mobility Radeon and
> have installed Hoary 5.04. For this machine, the video
> BIOS is set at 14440x900 and I'd like better (1600x
> type stuff)

Are you sure your LCD is capable of a higher resolution?  I don't have
one of these machines, but a quick look at Dell's website showed they
sell this laptop with two different screens:  1440x900 and 1920x1200.
  If your LCD is 1440x900, then you won't be able to get a higher
resolution.

If you have the 1920x1200 screen, then I suggest you look at the Linux
on Laptops website:  http://www.linux-laptop.net/

You'll find several links on the Inspiron 9300, including one about
(k)ubuntu and a couple with sample xorg.conf files.

Regards,
Larry