Hoary Install With No Internet

Paul Trevethan plist at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 5 08:30:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:59:12 -0700
Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> Well the install disk should be able to get you to the desktop
> without installing everything from the web. If your router has web
> based config you should be fine. Then you can get all the updates
> after your online.
>
> You could always use a live CD to boot up configure the router and
> then wipe winME if you feel more comfortable with that.
>
> Alex

Thanks Alex, I never thought of using the Live CD (which I have) browser
to setup the router before doing anything else. Great idea. It has the
added advantage of flagging any hardware detection isssues without harm.

Ubuntu installs had become so straightforward when internet is
connected that I completely overlooked the simplest solution?!

My query/concern was whether or not the install would "fall over" if
internet was not detected or just proceed undeterred. I did not want
to go into WinME at all other than let Ubuntu install blow it away.

Cheers,
Paul