I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Sir Daz lists at sirdaz.com
Thu Aug 4 18:20:39 UTC 2005

Tim Holmes wrote:

>Timothy A. Holmes
>
>IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher
>
>Medina Christian Academy
>A Higher Standard...
>
>Jeremiah 33:3
>Jeremiah 29:11
>Esther 4:14
>

>>NO!  The whole point is to _not_ have a root password. I just don't
>>understand why this is such a difficult concept.
>>--
>>derek
>>

>[Tim Holmes]
>
>Its not so much difficult, as it is STUPID.  I like Ubuntu, I use
>Ubuntu, but I tell you what, that one thing (lack of easy normal root
>access) nearly cost the distro a user,  that has to be the most inane
>idea in the entirety of the unix/linux world. I use linux to make things
>easier, not harder, and having to type extra commands to do my normal
>administrator work is NOT what I call easier -- it annoying, clunky and
>a generally BAD idea.
>
>OK -- sorry -- rant over  ---- LOL
>

>If the user has the root password, he/she should have enough smarts to
>not go screwing stuff up.  If the person does not need the root
>password, don't give it to them, but don't cripple the distro for the
>rest of us -- Setting the root password is the first thing I do on a new
>Ubuntu install
>
>TIM

Id have to agree there, as I always set up the root account first off
aswell. Although i also agree with the concept of NOT having a root
account, having the account available just makes things much easier.
This is mainly because im that comfortable with the terminal as yet, so
i simply log in as root, do the things root needs to do - but using the
gui, then log back out.

if your comfortable using the terminal then the concept of not having
the root account is great. but if your more comfortable using the gui as
i am, then thats when the root account becomes invaluable - much easier
to use in my opinion. Just handy to have it available :)

Darren