I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Thu Aug 4 18:49:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 07:20:39PM +0100, Sir Daz wrote:
> if your comfortable using the terminal then the concept of not having
> the root account is great. but if your more comfortable using the gui
> as i am, then thats when the root account becomes invaluable - much
> easier to use in my opinion. Just handy to have it available :)

Seriously, that's just not a good idea; not only is there the potential
that you'll stuff up, there much more chance of a bug making the
software stuff up when you run something the size of Gnome or KDE as
root. What do you find you need to run as root in a gui that doesn't
already use sudo when you start it from the menus?

Ewan