Portuguese keyboard, deadkeys not working in console

Joao Pedro Clemente jpcl at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Thu Aug 4 12:34:27 UTC 2005

Hi.
I've tried google and ubuntu-pt mailing list, but none of the answers I
got solved my problem:

The portuguese language has characters that need dead-keys support, for
instance, every vogal can be used toguether with a tilde, acute or grave
accent: á,à,ã,â,...

I cannot get these chars in the text console (not inside X), and one of
the reason that was given to me was that the keyboard was using UTF-8 wich
does not support dead-keys. Changing it to ASCII with "kbd_mode -a" did
not solved my problem.

Anyone knows another workaround for this?

One other tings that was mentioned was a kernel patch to enable this
feature, however I was unable to find it googling, does anyone knows where
to find it?

Thank you

Ps: Sarge (2.6) works fine, it uses ASCII mode by default, and even if I
switch it to utf-8 by using "kbd_mode -u" it still works.

--
		        	Joao Pedro Clemente
        			jpcl @ rnl.ist.utl.pt