Hoary Install With No Internet

Paul Trevethan plist at internode.on.net
Thu Aug 4 08:53:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

A question about installing Ubuntu if I may.

I have installed Ubuntu on a couple of machines and love it. However,
those machines were connected to routers that were already setup and
working under other os's. So, when I did the install Ubuntu had no
problem detecting the internet and going to get whatever it needed.

My question is, what if anything will Ubuntu do on an install where
there is no established internet connection detected at the time of
install?

I am planning to put it on my sisters modest old machine that currently
runs WinME standalone. Her computing needs are very basic and I want to
shield her from as much as possible. I am taking the opportunity to
'save her from the darkside' at the same time she is getting
wireless broadband to replace an old dial- up account she has now. She
has the modem. I decided the safest way to do this was to connect the
modem to a spare router that I have. That way she will have a NAT
firewall without even thinking and I can take my time teaching her the
ways of Linux.

I could just plug the router into ME I guess and set it up (pppoe on
the wan connection) before I start the install. If I don't setup the
router/modem before I start the Ubuntu install will anything special
happen? Will it complete? If it does, it is 5 minutes to load the
browser and setup the router account details. I know NOTHING about
WinME networking and did not want to get into that setup at all if I
can avoid it.

Sorry to be so long winded, hope someone can advise?
Paul.