about installing packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 3 16:58:08 UTC 2005

Frank Hale wrote:

>>  Apparently there
>> _isn't_ a good reason to use it, because every time I ask I get either no
>> answers or misdirections like this.
>
> I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer for this. If one uses
> Synaptic and it suits their needs why does it matter?

I agree it doesn't matter, but I've seen people proseletyzing for it, and it
just didn't make any sense to me, as it hasn't previously done what _I_
need it to do.  The single thing that I miss most is the ability to browse
down the dependency chain.  In kpackage, If "a" depends on "b", clicking on
"b" in the dependency list shows me package "b".  What really baffles me is
why the kubuntu folks want to make a KDE version of synaptic (kynaptic)
instead of using the perfectly fine kpackage.
--
derek