I cannot login in after a fresh install, don't know root password, and it never asked me to create a user

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 3 10:52:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 03:21:08 -0700
James <infohwyman at cox.net> wrote:

> Okay, I installed Ubuntu, while working on two PCs, so once the main
> install was going, I went to the other one, I get back to it, and it has
> rebooted, is completely installed and sitting at a username login prompt
> to go into Gnome it looks like.  but it never asked me for a username,
> and there is absolutely, no information on what the root defaul password
> is.  So I hop online, on the other Windows 2K server, and I see that
> there are several people asking the same question.  Why did my install
> never ask me for a password and now I cannot get in.  all the solutions
> talk about sudo this and sudo that, but you cannot get to sudo if you
> cannot get past logon:

James -

You might want to append your response to the thread in which your original post appeared. Otherwise most or many people will not realise that yours is a response to further discussion by Dennis, Arjan and myself, of your first message.

It sounds, from your description, as if you left the installation unattended for a while and somehow missed the step of defining your user name and password. Thus you had, as you say, nowhere to go when the login screen appeared. If you boot into recovery mode you should be able to create your user from the default root prompt that this mode gives you.

You will probably also need to add this user to the admin group, and a number of other default groups. It shouldn't be too difficult; if you need guidance I'm sure there will be much available to you on this list.

Before that can happen efectively, it might be a good move to find the original thread and post your follow up there - perhaps with my response appended, to clarify what happened; namely that your response became a new thread, unintentionally.

Peter