openoffice.org2 on PowerPC

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 16:15:38 UTC 2005

I've tried the openoffice.org2 packages on my Hoary PowerPC system,
but the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) requirement is a problem
because you get into a frustrating loop anytime you get to a wizard
(they need the JRE).

I tried the IBM Java package and Kaffe, but neither seems to work with
OpenOffice, though maybe there's a trick I missed.

I tried installing the IBM packages using each of these procedures
(note the first installs the entire SDK and the second installs just
the JRE):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JavaPPC

and

http://powerpc.ubuntuguide.org/#jre

Both procedures seemed to install just fine, they just didn't seem to
satisfy whatever OpenOffice.org2 is looking for.

When each of those processes failed I uninstalled the IBM software and
tried Kaffe (because that's the default in the Debian
java-virtual-machine-dummy package) but it doesn't work either.