Not Happy with ShipIt

Al Gordon runlevel7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:54:43 UTC 2005

On 8/1/05, squareyes <squareyes at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Al,
> have 2 copies left from my order, would be happy to post
> them to you. Am in Australia, would take around 10 days.
> Let me know off list if you would like them.
> Take Care

Thanks for the generous offer.  Unfortunately, 2 copies doesn't really
help me out.  I've been burning my own copies and distrbuting them as
needed for small volume hand outs.

I had mixed feelings starting this thread in the first place since I
understand, and even agree with the "don't complain about free"
aspects of this conversation.  However, it's nice to see that the
Ubuntu community is truly willing to be a community, lending help
where needed to each other and Canonical.

I still believe that there's room for improvement in the whole ShipIt
process, but I have strong confidence that we'll see it happen.  I
think that Ubuntu/Canonical delivering on their promise of this aspect
of their overall operation will make people feel more confident about
them delivering on the rest (always free, localized, released on time,
etc.).  Failure with ShipIt, unfortunately, could make people start
wondering when, where, why and how the ball will get dropped.

As a sidenote, hoping to end on a positive note: I had hoped to have
official Ubuntu CDs available to distribute at a charity event that I
was involved in this last weekend, but didn't, so I made my own.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the time and money to properly prepare a
bunch of CDs.  I did put a few out, and they all disappeared.  (I'm
assuming that this is a good thing, since if people want free CDs for
coffee cup coasters these days, AOL is glad to provide them.)  I was
informed after one of the shows that someone in the audience was
wearing an Ubuntu t-shirt.  Apparently, the word's spreading!

--

  -- AL --