Convert vob to avi

toyfactory toyfactory at xsmail.com
Tue Aug 2 11:47:45 UTC 2005

Marek Pawinski wrote:
> toyfactory wrote:
>> Marek Pawinski wrote:
>>
>>> I bought myself a music video today and tried using DVD-Rip to convert
>>> it to avi so i can watch it off my hdd.
>>>
>>> The track rips but at the end of the rip i get a transcode could not
>>> find frame error.
>>>
>>> So i have a lot of large vob files. I tried ffmpegs example but the mp3
>>> sound gave me an error. Is there another way to convert vobs to avi ?
>>>
>>> "removing common factors from framerate
>>> Unsupported codec for output stream #0.1"
>>>
>>> The above is from ffmpeg
>>
>> Hi Marek, I have a similar problem.  I was unable to install transcode
>> so I used vobcopy to rip a DVD to a single large .vob file.  The I tried
>> to use ffmpeg to convert the .vob file to a smaller .avi file like the
>> example in the ffmpeg man page.
>>
>> I think we get the error above because the version of ffmpeg in universe
>> doesn't have mp3 support enabled by default.  I tried to download the
>> source package and recompile with mp3lame support enabled but I couldn't
>> get it to compile.
>>
>> I think I need some help to compile my own ffmpeg from the source
>> package.  Or perhap download a precompiled version with mp3lame enabled.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Nick
>>
> Unfortunately compiling with the Debian package management system is
> beyond my scope, but you have given me something to think about and get
> into now. :-)

I've found a different version of ffmpeg in the hoary-extras repository,
it appears to have mp3lame support enabled.  I haven't tried it yet but
think it might solve the problem.  You could also try encoding using mp2
audio.  I've just tried it as an alternative to mp3 and it seems OK.  I
don't know what the advantages of using mp3 over mp2 are - better sound
quality perhaps, the bit rate is the same.

Good luck,

Nick