Ruby 1.8.2 | Bug # 12613

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Tue Aug 2 05:31:41 UTC 2005

Hello.

Frank Hale:

> Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'm however more interested in fixing
> the problem in Hoary rather than doing a work around to suit my needs
> locally.

You might want to ask the Ubuntu team to do an
official backport and put it in hoary-backports.

> I think it's silly that a pre-release version
> of Ruby 1.8.2 even made it into Hoary.

It might have been the newest Ruby when
Hoary hit the Ustream Version Freeze.

> I can't figure out why it has not been fixed with a final version that
> came out 2 days after the pre-release that is currently shipping in
> Hoary.

Ruby in Hoary in is universe, i.e. it's an unsupported package; universe
doesn't get as much package love as main from the core Ubuntu team.
Also, Masters of the Universe team seem to be much stronger now than
it was back in late 2004. Note that Ruby in Breezy will be in main,
although the Ubuntu policy is to backport only the security fixes,
so the next version of Ruby (1.8.3?) most probably won't make it into
Breezy even if it was released today (Breezy is past Upstream Version
Freeze[1] now). This is the way Debian and Ubuntu work (although Ubuntu
does have the official backports).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyReleaseSchedule

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
 We don't think of ourselves as being perfectionists, really. To us it's more
 about desperately trying to have it sound more or less OK.   -- Donald Fagen