Kernel 2.6.12, suspend and hotplug

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 1 13:41:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 04:25:46PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:00:22PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > I installed linux-image-2.4.16-3-686 from Breezy on my Hoary laptop.
> > Since them I'm happy to report that the keyboard doesn't wedge up if I
> > press a key while the laptop is not fully resumed.  However, another
> > problem replaced it: hotplug stops working after a suspend.  This means
> > no USB devices until I manually run /etc/init.d/hotplug restart.
>
> Since then I've upgraded to a patched (with the radeon ACPI sleep patch)
> linux-image-2.4.16-4-686 4.4.  After some testing I've found that using
> /etc/acpi/sleep.sh causes this problem, while a simple replacement
> script that does
>
>   /sbin/modprobe -r -s usbhid
>   /sbin/modprobe -r -s uhci_hcd
>   /sbin/modprobe -r -s ehci_hcd
>   /sbin/modprobe -s ehci_hcd
>   /sbin/modprobe -s uhci_hcd
>   /sbin/modprobe -s usbhid
>
> doesn't.

That's because /etc/acpi/prepare.sh tries to figure out which modules to
unload by looking at /sys/class/net/*/driver and /sys/class/usb_host/*/driver
symlinks, which are not present at all in 2.6.12.

I edited /etc/default/acpi-support and set

  MODULES="usbhid uhci_hcd ehci_hcd"

and suspend seems to work just fine.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US companies
like Microsoft." -Some AOL'er.