Kernel 2.6.12, suspend and hotplug

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Aug 1 13:25:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:00:22PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> I installed linux-image-2.4.16-3-686 from Breezy on my Hoary laptop.
> Since them I'm happy to report that the keyboard doesn't wedge up if I
> press a key while the laptop is not fully resumed.  However, another
> problem replaced it: hotplug stops working after a suspend.  This means
> no USB devices until I manually run /etc/init.d/hotplug restart.

Since then I've upgraded to a patched (with the radeon ACPI sleep patch)
linux-image-2.4.16-4-686 4.4.  After some testing I've found that using
/etc/acpi/sleep.sh causes this problem, while a simple replacement
script that does

  /sbin/modprobe -r -s usbhid
  /sbin/modprobe -r -s uhci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -r -s ehci_hcd
  sync; sync; sync
  FGCONSOLE=`fgconsole`
  chvt 12
  echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
  chvt $FGCONSOLE
  /sbin/modprobe -s ehci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -s uhci_hcd
  /sbin/modprobe -s usbhid

doesn't.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:41:15PM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Apparently after two suspends my wireless (ipw2200) dies.  The device
> exists, and it shows a very good connection (quality over 80%), but
> dhclient is unable to get a lease.  If I rmmod ipw2200 and then modprobe
> ipw2200, modprobe fails.

This no longer happens -- I guess that's because the kernel in Breezy
downgraded the ipw2200 driver from 1.0.4 to 1.0.1.

Marius Gedminas
--
Committee, n.:
        A group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group