Ubuntu DVD (OT)

dipankar das paagol at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:48:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 01 August 2005 13:31, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On ma, 2005-08-01 at 11:58 +0530, Rameshkumar wrote:
> > Is Ubuntu DVD is aviable for the lastest version ?
> >
> > Since I am using the normal internet of 64 KBs at my house, I am not
> > able to download. Please help in in this regarding.
>
> It is only available for download. The shipit people only send out cds,
> not dvds.

This DVD with the whole repository on it is really a must for us. We run a
local GNU-Linux organization in Calcutta's suburbs in West Bengal, India,
that happens physically and not the NET way like the other Linux user groups,
because NET is not there at all for us in a way than make Synaptic happen.
For a flash, this group consists of around twenty people. Only five of them
have net connections, all dialups, and hence very costly. Getting ISO-s or
big chunks of data is more than a dream for us. So, the only way we can go on
working is the CD or DVD way. It works too. We have made quite a few people
conscious about the appearently unknown and hidden power of OSS. Linux is
more necessary for us, a poor nation, for the economy as a whole, but the way
Linux happened to the First World, that is, through NET, is impossible for
us. Through the classes and works of our organization, glt (GNU-Linux-Thek)
already three of our younger members have gone into serious coding. I am not
a techy guy. I actually teach economics and write, but these young boys, in
them, i become meaningful. Anyway, that is not the point. I have already made
this mail long enough and off-topic enough to get rebuked by the list-admin.
But somehow it relates to the Ubuntu way of seeing things.

If a DVD is available, or, if someone kind enough in the community has the
resources to copy the whole repository and write it on a DVD and send it to
us, it can be copied cheaply and easily. And the charge necessary for it we
can bear. I really liked the Ubuntu distro. It has very successfully avoided
the intimidating nature of many other distros without compromising the
stability or flexibility and power. And from the one CD i got we already
copied it a few times, and on several machines it is running. From the DVD we
can get a real help.

For GLT-Madhyamgram (www.geocities.com/ddipankardas/)
--
dipankar das