How to set up ide-scsi for 2.6.x.x Kernels in Ubuntu?

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat Apr 30 15:06:23 UTC 2005

Am Saturday 30 April 2005 16:21 schrieb albi at scii.nl:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:12:50 +0200
>
> Gerhard Gaußling <ggrubbish at web.de> wrote:
> > So, how to setup ide-scsi emulation in Horay Hedgehog amd64?
>
> afaik scsi-emu is obsolete in the 2.6.x kernel now, you no longer
> need it for ATAPI-cdwriters
>
> (although not for ubuntu, perhaps this url is useful for you :
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_CD_Burning_for_Dummies )

This is not the question, the 'recommended' ATAPI method of 2.6.x works
here too:
$ sudo cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.11.8.20050430
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
Solaris.
scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
devname: '/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1'.
cdrecord: Warning: using unofficial version of libscg (ubuntu-0.8ubuntu1
'@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J.
Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4163B' 'A100' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

And also cdrecord mentioned:
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer

If I use cdrecord -scanbus I got this error:
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.

But I got the modules loaded:
$ lsmod |grep scsi
ide_scsi               17284  0
ide_core              147396  5
amd74xx,ide_generic,ide_disk,ide_cd,ide_scsi
scsi_mod              153488  5 sbp2,ide_scsi,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata

But udev didn't created the devices.

$ sudo grep SCSI /usr/src/linux/.config|grep -A3 IDE
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
# SCSI device support
CONFIG_SCSI=m
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y

This might be the reason?:
$ sudo grep SCSI /usr/src/linux/.config|grep -A3 CDROM
gerhard at ubuntu:~$

Maybe I got a kernel without scsi CDROM support?

Thank You

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling