scribus wants PostScript fonts, that are installed, but obviously not found or ignored

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Sat Apr 30 14:03:39 UTC 2005

Hi all!

When I start scribus it reports a fatal error:

There are no Postscript-Fonts on your System
Exiting now

Of course, there are PostScript fonts installed:

dpkg -l *fonts* | grep ^ii
ii  gsfonts        8.14+v8.11+urw Fonts for the Ghostscript
interpreter(s)
ii  gsfonts-x11    0.17           Make Ghostscript fonts available
to X11
[...]
ii  xfonts-scalabl 6.8.2-10       scalable fonts for X

Searching for answers via Google Groups I found, that
xfonts-scalable should also be installed. They are installed as you
can see above.

I tried to start scribus by setting GS_FONTPATH:

GS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/ scribus

But it ends up with the same error.

So, what's going wrong here and how can I fix it?

Regards,
    Christoph