zombie

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Fri Apr 29 06:50:58 UTC 2005

Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 12:05 -0400, ajtiM wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I uninstalled Festival and now i have one zombie:
>>
>>  8687 ?        00:00:00 speech-dispatch
>>  8689 ?        00:00:00 sd_flite
>>  8694 ?        00:00:00 sd_festival <defunct>
>>
>> I killed speech-dispatch but when i start computer again process
>> are still here.

If you restarted your computer the process above are probably not
zombies.  The "?" only says that the process is not connected to a
terminal.  To get to see whether they really are zombies or not, use
either the BSD style ps that Karl suggested, or add an "-f" to your
Sys V (or Unix¹) style ps ("ps -ef") to see the "full output",
including parent process id (PPID).  If the PPID is not 0, the
processes have a true parent - on the other hand, if the PPIDs are 0,
they probably are zombies.

> Try "ps wwwauxf | less" and search using "/" for "speech".

I didn't know about the "f" option to BSD style ps - cool.

	Affi

¹) When did BSD stop to be Unix?