Compatibility question Ubuntu/Redhat software

mat nicholson sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com
Tue Apr 26 18:19:09 UTC 2005

generally, no. between distro's, libraries needed in compilation are
different, even is just in version number. a precompiled redhat package
(probably an .rpm) would not work on ubuntu (which is a debian system,
and likes its packages as .deb). however, the source code, should be
completely portable between distros. it kinda sucks when compared to
windows in some respects, but, its like this:

example:
samba source is available, everyone downloads it.
redhat compiles it on their system, with their libs, in their
environment, then make a packages out of it (.rpm) and releases it.
ubuntu, or, more likely, debian, does the same, but with their libs, in
their environment, and releases a .deb

now, even though they are from the same source, i would be surprised of
one just "worked" on the other.

now, there are a few options:
 you can find the debian/ubuntu package of your desired application,
 you can attempt to convert the redhat package ( alien(?)(i have never
used or attempted to) can also be done manually i suppose),
or,
find the source code, download it, and compile it (simple, and the
package should have instructions)

now your probably thinking, "gee, on windows i just download it, and it
works on all version of windows.". Thats because windows is all
controlled form one central location, making the code base consistent,
which can be a good thing. however, all versions of windows, with the
exception of 64bit which is out now, are compiled for the x86-32bit
(mainly i386 i believe) arch, meaning nothing is optimized for your
processor/system really, its all generic, where as with Linux, it can
be, and is, so different builds of software are needed on a per
arch/distro/library/kernel basis.

now, i realized i probably just went on a small rant and may have even
side stepped your real question, but, to get back to the root of it all,
redhat package on ubuntu with no work needed? no way. get back to me
with the software/package/exact problem and i'll do my best to lend a
hand though, after all i've been itching to become more and more active
in the community.

good luck my friend

mat