Performance shock

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Tue Apr 26 13:42:47 UTC 2005

raven wrote:

> I would like to leave on a appreciation note for all the
>
> Open source comunity, which gives us the free softwars,
>
> and the tools to enjoy this world of PC's,
>
> A big Thank You...

Indeed, one does not need to adopt an open source operating system, such
as Linux, to show support for the open source concept. Many of the core
applications used in everyday life -- the Firefox Web browser, the
Thunderbird e-mail application, the OpenOffice suite -- are not
proprietary and are fast becoming the default for Windows users. The
question becomes do we need to abandon our operating system of choice in
order to save it? MS is moving toward more security and other changes,
largely due to the competitive pressure posed by open source software.As
my hero Martha Stewart says, that's a good thing. ;)

Ed