Performance shock

raven ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 26 06:49:37 UTC 2005

I read all the threads from the first one to the last one,

and this is my 2cents,

I just installed ubuntu on PIII 450, mem 512MB,

Video GEforce5200 128MB,

It is been couple of years wanting and trying

to install Linux on this pc so

I will try on hand and see what Linux is all about,

I could not, cause I always was missing drivers or

sound card not detected, and when I ask a question

on the distro forums, I get responses that are so cryptic,

that I just gives up, anyway I met a freind who is into Linux

and showed me Ubuntu, it works fine, I like the feel,

it crashed couple of times, (but I guess it was something I did)

cause I did a new installation after month of experience

and is working fine, but hell to learn to install java plugin and flash
for mozilla,

so for people who have their pc's as tools to work

and not as a hobby of deciphering every HEX number

and where every byte is located in memory, Linux is

very hard to tame, all APPS on ubuntu works as fast

as on the same pc with MSXP (2 seperate hard disks)

but to say that MSXP crashes after a while is NOT true,

I have MSXPpro for  4 years, never got formated, never

got slugesh, I have tons of apps on it ex:  zone alarm, sniffers,

mesenger, MSspyware detection, norton AV2002, wallwatcher,

a USB wireless card, synchback,Kazaa, all these softwares

are on start up, I use IE, opera, FireFox, macromedia suite,

and tones of apps, never had a problem not for speed nor

for crashing, as for Mr Bill Gates BIZ practicing, I am only

discussing the products that I tried, and not his personal

ethics, I am giving Linux a shot I will try it and put all the apps

that I need on it as in my MSXP, and I will test, as for MSXP

getting sluggesh after time, only win95/98/ME were a weak OS,

win2k and XP, are very stable, I work in ISP support, and I talk

to your every day JOE, do not forget that these people have

no notion about any funcioning of a PC, it is a mere tools

to work on. Imagine you need to learn mecanics just cause

you want to drive a car, the man is a doctor, he does not

care to know how IP table and routing should work, he

want to send an email to say that he discovered a formula

to that can cure a sickness, which by the way a lot

of Linux wizzards would not understand, and so for

viruses and spywares on winduh machine, that is the

comparison "you would go fishing in a lake were you know

there is fish, and not in a dry out pond". Before I get smashed

with all kinds of opinions and critisisme,

I would like to leave on a appreciation note for all the

Open source comunity, which gives us the free softwars,

and the tools to enjoy this world of PC's,

A big Thank You...

--
raven