3 years no print with Linux

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Tue Apr 26 11:38:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:23:31 +0300
audriusb at homelan.lt wrote:

> Linux designers should stop cooking new programs which are doing
> exactly the same things and spend more time on brilliant of the
> existing software.

exactly the same things ? i don't see how xpdf (standalone app) compares
to a build-in pdf-viewer in konqueror

the evince-programmers seem to partly follow your idea however :)

> Here short list of my adventures with UBUNTU Hoary,
> AMD64:
>    1) I spent some time and attached my HP PSC1210 to the CUPS system;
>    all
>       tests were passed without any complains. I got surprise
>       literraly on next day when I launched printing from OpenOffice:
>       no reaction from the printer.
>    2) I went to WEB looking for information and found that OOo 1.9.3
>    requires
>       manual installation of CUPS printer. OK, I started spadmin and
>       found that it craches.
>    3) I am old C++ programmmer and desided to help myself: downloaded
>    sources
>       from OpenOffice site, configured them and launched Make in hope
>       to debug spadmin, but compillation craches and I can do nothing.
> The same problem with Wine and Lazarus: no packages for AMD64 and
> compillation fails.
> I don't know is this problem specific to UBUNTU or for all Linuxes

OOo 1.9.3 is not a stable version, and WINE is not even out of
alpha-stage, what do you expect ?

the development-version of this software is there for people to find and
help fix problems

about Lazarus, the description of Lararus does not mention AMD64 :
"The Lazarus IDE is a stable and feature rich visual programming
environment for the FreePascal Compiler. It supports the creation of
self-standing graphical and console applications and currently runs on
Linux (i386+Sparc), FreeBSD, MacOSX and Win32."

as a programmer you could start porting Lazarus to AMD64-platforms and
find other people to join you in this effort