3 years no print with Linux

squareyes squareyes at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 26 09:47:26 UTC 2005

Hi all,
have just realised that in the 3 years I have been
using Linux (various distro's) I have never managed to
print a single page . I have 2 Epson dot matrix printers
(LQ 500 and LX 300) both listed in the list of printers
when adding "New Printer" but neither work.  I and many
others have tried, but the best I can get is the left hand 2
thirds of a page of text. The right hand 1 third just goes into
the ether. Linux printing says that LQ 500 works with 24
pin driver but fails to include the magic incantation that is required.
Posted to the Cups list 3 times, not a single reply. Early in my
Linux use this very nearly caused me to write Linux off as a bad
joke. Thank God it didn't. One of the best things I have done so far.

The point I wish to make is :- Do the developers give any consideration into
removing, or not including things like this that do not work? I appreciate
that it is a Cups driver and as such is beyond their control, but I have
always been under the assumption that no info is better than bad info.
It's bad for Ubuntu, new users who try things like this will automatically
lable the fault as being one of Ubuntu's.
I would be happy to pay for a driver that would enable me to use these
printers under Linux, would allow me to use space currently being
used by Windows, which is only used to print, or the magic incantation
that would make the current driver usable.
Can't afford a new printer, and have 3 boxes of continuous
paper. The printers are getting on, but so am I, hope no one thows me
out just yet, some of the older things work better than the new. :-)
Thanks, Take Care
Winton