Performance shock

brickbat ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Apr 25 11:59:48 UTC 2005

performance comparisons are tricky.  here is my experience.

Doing user interface stuff with the mouse definately has a lathergic
nature to it in every linux I have tried but ubuntu is better than Suse
and Mandrake in this regard.  it is hard to pinpoint but there is
something lumbering about the linux ui speed.  There is something
sprightly about the way windows handles the ui.

On the other hand, in windows i cant run a bittorrent program and watch
a movie at the same time.  it is not possible - i drop a load of frames
and lose sync.  if the win partition has been on for more than a few
days, i cant even watch a movie by itself without rebooting first.

In linux it handles both easily.  i mean easily.  Also, it doesnt
matter how long the machine has been up.

So which performance is better?  I prefer ubuntu.  i like watching
movies and i don't care if my mouse is not sprightly.

I have a pIII 500 with 640mb ram.

ciao

bb

--