Performance shock (BS)

Serg Belokamen sergb at tpg.com.au
Sun Apr 24 17:35:20 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I tend to agree with Ed, no need to get the pitchforks out just yet and
go after our conspiracy scape goat meeeeehhhhhhhh.

I have been using Linux with GNOME and KDE for years. I don't even use
Windows at home, at all. However I tend to agree that some applications
do have a faster startup time on Windows then Linux.

The catch is that Linux and Windows architectures, specially in regards
to memmory management is VERY different (I can feel the planet shaking
from everyone nodding). So, while Windows does in some cases have faster
startup time, Linux desktop apps. will have a faster startup time and
tends to be more responsive under havier loads.

For example if one tries to open Open Office Writer and MS Office Word,
Word does start up faster (it hurts to say this, specially with my deep
seeded opinion on inferiority of MS software). However, open 4 or 5 more
windows and Windows will start choking on it while Linux handles quiet
well.

Any way, thats my AU$0.2

   Serg