Open Office Quick Start

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Apr 24 15:35:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 11:17 -0400, David Teague wrote:
> I asked:
>
> > > Has anyone found an OpenOffice.org Quick Start for
> > > Ubuntu or other Debian based distribution?
>
> Peter Garrett:
> > Yes. You just enable the "universe" repository in Ubuntu
> >
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/AddingRepositoriesHowto
> >
> > and install:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get install ooqstart-gnome
>
> I asked
> > > Anyone have experience with such an applet that actually
> > > works well?
>
> Peter Garrett responds:
> > Yup. Got it running in Warty on both PPC and i386. Only issue I see
> is
> > it sometimes crashes on logout, which really doesn't matter
> anyway...
> > Just right click the Gnome panel after installing it and choose it,
> then
> > configure it by right click and ticking the box to apply it in the
> > applet preferences.
>
> I'm curious. Please tell me more in detail exactly what crashes when
> you logout.

Sorry, I should have been more precise; yes, I mean the applet itself
sometimes crashes when I log out of gnome, and occasionally needs an
extra click on the error dialogue that pops up. It's no more than a
minor irritation, and it loads fine next time I log in.

> If my supposition is correct that "it" is the ooqstart-gnome applet,
> then this happens on logout, so who cares? You are through with
> your work for the time being, and the ooqstart-gnome can be set
> to be automatically loaded on log-in. Is this right?

Correct, who cares. And yes, it just reappears in the panel when you log
in next. So right again.

> Thanks, your reply induced me to spend some time reading the
> Ubuntu sites. I found the packages repository,
> packages.ubuntu.com, and other information.

The wiki is full of good tips. Also look at www.ubuntuguide.org,
unofficial but with lots of useful "how to" information.

Peter