Performance shock (BS)

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 09:19:52 UTC 2005

On 4/24/05, CB <cb.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/24/05, Tom Adelstein <adelste at yahoo.com> wrote:
<nasty snippage>
Guys calm down a little huh.. Remember what Ubuntu means?
Also please remember that it's very easy to read inferred meanings and
emotions from e-mails that were not meant to be there in the first
place.
I agree that the usage of the the term "BS" is quite impolite and I'd
suggest not using it again as it has cause a quite severe reaction.

On the whole Windows v's Linux performance thing I feel that it is
_massively_ subjective.
On the windows side it depends a great deal on how old the
installation is and what sort of activity the PC's has been used for.
Personally I've found that even the best "windows tweaker" will find
that after a few months of windows usage they'll get performance
degradation, but on the Linux side it seems to me that it takes a lot
more to "drag the system down".

If you have a slow linux box I can suggest playing with hdparm
settings, for my systems Ubuntu needed nudging in that area and
particularly for the cdrom/DVD drive.

Take a deep breath and calm down. Remember that no one know the answer
to everything, which means that no one is going to have the answer to
perfect Linux performance, and that includes Linus (he makes mistakes
too).

--
Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
"The thing Ubuntu means to me is, I'm glad I didn't get a Debian