Performance shock

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 13:29:38 UTC 2005

What is calm discussion doing in this bastion of rabid idealogues? My
filters obviously let a stray message past. ;) But really, remembering
when I used punch cards to program a computer, when maxing out my
computer's memory meant you had a whole 1MB of RAM onboard, that my
word-processor used to be a Royal portable with no error-correction,
that the search-and-replace function operates at 1.2 millisecond and I
can type 60 words a minute, that I can change the computer's wallpaper
and theme in 2 minutes but I haven't repainted my house or changed my
office wallpaper in 5 years -- all puts this Windows vs. Linux squable
into perspective (for me, at least.) ;)

Ed