no sound when playing WMV files

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Sun Apr 24 01:17:14 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 19:36 -0400, Dex wrote:
> Hey Guys, appreciate your input. I tried gedit etc.... and this is what
> it initially tells me:
>

> (gedit:14723): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session
> manager:
>
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> It does, however, open session manager with catalog.cache. When I try
> to find the file to modify it tells me it can't find it. So - I go
> searching for it manually, pointing to it - and bang, the same problem
> as before - now it finds it, but can't open it!
>
> I'm in root terminal with gedit, so naturally don't use sudo, but no
> matter what I can't open the file.  :?
>

> --
> Dex

Don't use root privilege when editing your own files *EVER*!  It's a
very Very VERY bad thing to do to yourself!

(You don't need to edit the *.dll file itself!  All you need is editing
one file which is "~/.xine/catalog.cache" like explained next.)

Just do the following:
      * Quit Totem.
      * Edit the file "~/.xine/catalog.cache" by running:
                gedit ~/.xine/catalog.cache
        in a terminal or the "Run Application..." dialogue.
      * Search for the string:
                [/usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0/xineplug_decode_w32dll.so]
        (from "Search" menu, choose find and enter that string when
        asked.)
      * About 6 or 7 lines below you'll find a line that reads:
                decoder_priority=1
        change it to:
                decoder_priority=7
      * Save the file and exit gedit.
      * Try Totem now.

(In the above, I'm assuming you are using totem-xine and you installed
w32codecs correctly.  If you didn't know how to do any of that or you
don't know what I'm talking about just ask again.)
Ziyad.