Install of Ubuntu

Russell Cook ruscook_oz at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 22 13:07:08 UTC 2005

This works for me:
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdd1 reiserfs     15G  2.9G   13G  20% /
tmpfs        tmpfs    507M     0  507M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda1 reiserfs    197M   58M  139M  30% /boot
/dev/mapper/Linux-home
          reiserfs    187G  152G   35G  82% /home
/dev/hda5 reiserfs    2.0G   33M  2.0G   2% /tmp
/dev       unknown     15G  2.9G   13G  20% /.dev
none         tmpfs    5.0M  2.8M  2.3M  56% /dev

Basically, I have a separate /tmp, /home and /boot (and swap but that's hidden). The rest are under / which saves me wasting space. There is a good argument for /usr/local being a separate partition so apps you install manually (i.e. not from the repository) won't get easily blown away if you need to reinstall.

In fact that's the main reason for having /home separate as well. You can reinstall or even run 2 versions of Ubuntu i.e. a main Ubuntu and a dev Ubuntu from different partitions but share /tmp, /boot and /home, (and /usr/local if you wish).

Kind Regards Russ
www.windsorcycles.com.au
(gedit/ubuntu/gFTP)