Any "Compellng" reason to upgrade?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 21 07:26:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 03:01:25AM -0400, smarttaz wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman Wrote:
> >
> > A DVD image is created for this purpose; it contains all software in
> > main.
> >

> Well, my old laptop only has a CD-ROM.

Then you can use the CDs we provide, and additional software is available
from the network.

> Should I say that Debian comes on multiple CDs?

And therefore you believe that Ubuntu should do the same?  If so, that isn't
a very compelling argument.

> Matt Zimmerman Wrote:
> > How do you suggest that this information could be better communicated?
> > It
> > is already in the FAQ.
> >

> Of course it's bad communication.
> Just look on the web on how many reviews on Ubuntu are saying that it
> has NOT gcc on the CD!!!
>
> If IT magazines can't figure out that a distro has a feature or another
> one, it doesn't matter that I can figure it out.

How do you suggest that this information could be better communicated?  It
is already in the FAQ.

> Another point: the FAQ should be on the CD, not on the web!!!!!

Yes, the FAQ should be available on the CD, but also on the web.

The documentation team prepared a FAQ which would be installed with Ubuntu,
but they chose not to include it in the release at this time.

I don't think this would make a difference anyway; users do not generally
read the FAQ before claiming (e.g.) that gcc is "missing".

> After working in IT for 11 years now, and in 7 companies, I can tell you
> that 90% of the project management problems are communication problems.

That much is obvious, but do you have a suggestion as to how the situation
could be improved?

--
 - mdz