wich is better ubuntu or fedora.

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.com
Wed Apr 20 21:09:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 15:44 -0500, george rogers wrote:
> i dont know what do you think

I'll assume that this is a genuine question and not a poor attempt at
starting a flamewar.

From my perspective, being in my early thirties and having tinkered with
computers for the last twenty years, Ubuntu has a lot going for it.
However, depending on what you want to achieve, Feodora could be a
better choice.

If I may speak with my business head screwed on for a moment, find out
what your requirements are - i.e. make a list of what you absolutely
must have, what would be nice-to-haves etc. Once done, go over the list
again and be very critical on yourself to narrow down the really
important must-haves. Once you have a requirement list, start looking at
what OS would be most suited for your needs.

To be perfectly honest, you may find that the best choice of OS for what
you need is not even a Linux variant. Mac OS-X could be what you need,
or (boo hiss) Windows XP. It is seldom obvious from the word go what you
need. Often people start with what OS to use, and try and fit their
requirements around that, which is about the worst mistake to make.

To just focus on the "no requirements needed, just compare the two"
question you originally asked, you would be comparing apples and
oranges. You would be making a fairer comparison pitting Ubuntu against
Mandrake, or Feodora against Suse Professional. I can only speak for
myself in doing any comparison and Ubuntu is the nicest linux
distribution I have used to days date.

Regards,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.com> | GnuPG Key ID - 0x4B20601A