[Warty] - Printer drivers and installation - Linz

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Apr 20 01:13:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 11:24 +1200, Lindsay wrote:

> Below is a note from a friend on a Windows PC helpers list that has just
> installed Ubuntu Warty.   Both he and I are having trouble getting our
> PC's to share printers on our home networks.  Finding drivers and then
> how& where  to install them.  His problemsd below.  My printer is a
> Canon MPC190.  Any suggestions please?

So the printer is served by a windows machine, and it's working there?

If so, then did you do "Desktop/Administration/Printing" (I think that's
the right way to get the gnome-cups-manager in warty)? I've never had a
problem accessing a windows-shared printer by doing "New Printer" to get
the "Add a Printer" wizard. Select "Network Printer" and "Windows
Printer (SMB)". Type in the windows hostname and the printer name, then
click "Forward". Select the Manufacturer of the printer and the model
name. Then just click "Apply".

Your printer should appear in your "Printers" window. Right
click/Properties it, and try to print a test page.

I don't think that has failed for me.

--
Michael R Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt (ID 23A02B1F)