Sound recording with Intel 82801DB-ICH4 (AC97) sound card

Santiago Erquicia santiago.erquicia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 03:08:41 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Santiago Erquicia <santiago.erquicia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop with an Intel 82801DB-ICH4 sound
> card which I think is a AC97 card.
>
> I have no problem hearing sounds through Esound (I have some problems
> with skype which doesn't like esound).  Today, I was trying
> gnomemeeting and the other party couldn't hear me.  I tried to use
> gnome-sound-recorder and no sound is recorded.  I have checked every
> volume setting possible through gnome volume control and alsamixer.
>
> Does anyone with this soundcard have the same problem?
>
> Any idea what to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Santiago

I'm going to answer to myself because I found the problem and maybe it
will help to others.

My system did not record anything even if in alsamixer, in the capture
view, the "Capture" control was at 100%. In one webpage I found, it
was mentioned that you need to put it in "capture" mode. This is done
with the space key over the control. After doing this, the control has
a red "CAPTUR" under it which didn't have at the beginning and an L
and R on each side.

Now I don't have any problem with my mic.

Hope this help someone else.  I took me many days to decipher.

Santiago