PATH question (newbie)

Kenton Brede kbrede at nixnotes.org
Mon Apr 18 13:53:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:44:55AM -0400, Matthew S-H (mathbymath at aol.com) wrote:
> OK, another one of my stupid questions, lolz.
>
> How do I change my PATH to include everything in /opt/ ?

I'll give you one more possibility -

Install stow and use it to manage the programs you install under /opt/

What you could do is install your prog under /opt/prog-2.5/ run stow and
it will set up the relevant symlinks under /opt/ so that you would have
something like this -

/opt/bin/prog.pl -> /opt/prog-2.5/bin/prog.pl

So then all you have to do is put /opt/bin and /opt/sbin in your path.

The other added benefit of using stow is you can switch back and forth
between prog-2.5 and prog-2.8 quickly, if say, version 2.8 breaks
something.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-stow/

Kent

--
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.