recommendation for best tv video card?

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 16 11:40:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:28:01 -0400
emperor <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> ATI has NEVER released linux drivers to support the TV portion of
> their cards! Anyone with AIW cards is at the mercy of the Gatos
> Project which is about 2 years behind! There is an Xorg 6.7.0 binary
> now, but most people are running 6.8.x.
>
> So, do not buy ATI AIW or ATI HDTV cards period! Just say NO!
>
> I now recommend SAA713x based cardsfor TV, cheap (< $50) and usually
> have a FM receiver as well.. However there is a frame drop problem
> with the current 2.6.10 kernel in Hoary and the "dev's" will not look
> into the problem because they do not support "tvtime" or "xawtv".

It seems to me that one of the general problems in this particular
field is that the hardware seem to develop faster than the open source
developers can produce solutions that will work 'out-of-the-box'.

Until one of the hardware manufacturers can be persuaded either to
support linux or to make more information available to linux
developers, there will not be anything really satisfactory in the TV
field.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber