Newbie has lost his basket

Ian M. Stewart ims at uku.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 09:57:51 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I successfully upgraded my Warty system to Hoary last night, using the
excellent wiki HoaryUpgradeNotes.  However, during the idle time when
all the configuration was going on in a terminal, my mouse pointer
happened to pass over both the volume control on the top panel, and the
waste basket on the bottom panel.  In both cases this resulted in the
"unexpected termination" of the process.  When asked if I wanted to
re-start these processes, I stupidly answered 'No', as I thought that
when the new system was in place, they might be configured differently etc.

Now I find that I have no waste basket or volume control in hoary.  I
have successfully found that I can place a waste basket on the top panel
using the configuration utility, but that is not where I want it.  The
same process for the volume control has no result whatever - this could
be a bug.

Can any one tell me how to get back the default settings?  And should I
leap into bugzilla for the first time to say the add volume control
doesn't work?

Thanks for you time.

--

Ian